Thursday 28 March 2013

Day 24… Waste not!

Well it is the end of the month; I have now ran out of most things. My best friend this week is the bottom draw of my fridge.
Last night, when I looked at it I found some lettuce, beetroots, carrots and few other vegetables mostly limp.
I hate throwing away food even when I do have cash. I think that fact contributed to my creativity in the kitchen too. When I’ve got tired fruits, I make compotes, Jams or coulis to top up natural yogurts.
When it comes to vegetables, you can make soups, salads or stir-frys depending on the level of
My herbs & seeds collecton
limpness of your vegetables. It is also always good to have dry herbs in the house like, herbes de Provence, oregano, thyme, garlic granules, white pepper and black pepper. If you can have Brazil nuts, hazel nut, almond, sesame seeds and poppy seeds. With a selection of those on your kitchen shelf, you will never go hungry.
If you are not sure what to do? Google your ingredients and see what others have done with it. Just try… it is my idea of fun obviously.
So, the biggest thing in my fridge today and on the menu was lettuce. I had it as salad for lunch and on the evening a made a lettuce and spinach soup accompanied with roasted parsnips for chewing.
To make the salad, I used some chopped lettuce, diced tomatoes and the last two beetroots, fiverandom black olives, two pieces of roasted potato and topped with roasted almond.  It looked beautiful, tasted as good.
For the spinach and lettuce soup, I had mainly lettuce. I only added Spinach because I wanted a very green soup. So in hot oil, fry onions, in goes your chopped lettuce, spring onions, celery, frozen spinach leaves, stock cube. Cook for 20 minutes, blend! Bish bash bosh, as Jamie would say. Job done.
Spinash & lettuce soup
For the roasted parsnips: Peel, spay oil, salt. Place in the oven at 180C for 20 minutes.
It is all ready. Simple & delicious.
Note: this soup can be served topped up with cream or coconut milk and eaten preferably with bread (baguette of course).
For the salad, just add shreds of roasted chicken or turkey. There are so many different flavours here, do not use a heavy vinaigrette. A squeeze of lemon, a pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil should do.
C ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment