Sunday 17 March 2013

Day 14… It was a brain wave

I am beginning to think that doing the prayers, the cooking, the blogging and overusing my brain was a tad ambitious. Man! This is time consuming. I haven’t watched a cartoon in 14 days, my sleeping time has considerably reduced. But I owe to keep up with at least the blog as I feel it serve to keep me in check.
This blog thing was just a bored moment brainwave. I mentioned the idea to my colleague, asked another which blog he used, tweeted to ask recommendations and in the space of 1 hour lunch I had set up a page and posted my first blog… I didn’t realised it was going to cost me so much and I am  for the last 48 hours trying to think of a good reason to stop blogging daily. Perhaps I could do it only every other day? Once a week?
But if I take that route, it would mean that I am slowing down and not keeping myself in check that tightly as I have been so far… Hate the idea of letting my self down so I will keep this daily blogging going until at least half way (day 20) then, we’ll if we carry on daily.
Punkin seeds loaf ingredients
Today’s lunch and dinner was a Cameroonian dish made from white pumpkinseeds power. It is a pumpkin seeds loaf with soya meatballs, accompanied with cassava and yellow sweet potato. The loaf is often cooked with parboiled boneless meat or flaked fish all wrapped in banana leaves to give that extra  something . This dish is packed full of goodness. As I said previously, there must be a good reason for West Africans to be built like trunks. Just look at me! Lol.
Now let me tell you about my food. The pumpkin seeds are packed full of Vitamin E, vitamin B6, proteins, Anti-oxidants, help lower bad cholesterol,  they are also full of calories… who care it tastes so guuud!
To make the loaf, you will need some seasonings: Onion, Garlic, coriander leek. All this is to give a bit of taste to the soya meat balls. You can’t cook this loaf like a meat loaf in a baking tin, but in aluminium foil wrap (or banana leave if you’ve got it) and placed in a pot with  shallow water and plenty of steam. For full recipe & method DM me on twitter @hjulienne.
the yellow sweet potato
The cassava is a very versatile root vegetable also full of goodness. Get this. It full of proteins, vitamin K, vitamin B complex and B6.
The then the yellow sweet potato which is full of starch and contain vitamin B6, Vitamin A,K and Iron. Please note the yellow potato has a slightly more tougher constancy  than the regular potato. It will stay together in stews. The one that you find easily on the stalls is the red variety that easily goes mushy. I don’t like it…yuk.

it tastes better than it looks!

Both the cassava and yellow sweet potato ca be found at the Indian shop. They will cook in shallow water for about  20 minutes depending on the cut and in a covered pan. They are a bit unruly when it comes to cut them raw they basically break whenever you are trying to cut nice little shapes. Best cut it rough for an easy cooking then, cut to shape once they are cooked.
My plate just seems like an edible vitamin cabinet, but bwoy am I glad I have been researching these foods. If manage to keep this diet, there is no reason I should my Docs any time soon this year.
See Ya!

3 comments:

  1. Ian-Luke Penwald Via Facebook: Well, yes you have set yourself a mammoth task. For me the diet would be hard enough if not impossible. To find the inspiration to write every day while taking it on is a double whammy. But.... You are now in the deep dark before the dawn. Just like a pilgrimage or fast there comes the desire to give up and the questioning of the wisdom of the journey in the first place. I don't know this from personal experience but know many friends that have gone through this. A much loved mutual colleague of ours is at this moment taking on the Camino de Santiago in the desire to push through to a new experience for him. As with all pilgrimages, you journey with people along the way but not always necessarily altogether and often alone. So long as you are looking after your health, don't give up. Easter is just around the corner...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear Luke, I will be finishing on 12th April. So, Easter will be just another day... I am actually enjoying eating my way through vitamins and other health supplement via my plate... Thanks for your support Lucky really appreciate the encouragements.

      Delete
  2. Very Interesting Blog. so refreshing and appetizing.
    Hope to put my feet there to taste some.

    I'm not vegan, but i should become one day.
    London, i'm coming, i'm coming .... !!!!!

    I'm going to put your link on my facebook page...

    Lucas H.

    ReplyDelete