Thursday 11 April 2013

1 day to go

I recall of a story that I heard on Radio France Evangile, the story of marathon runner  frog (STOP IT! No frog legs jokes please).

So we are going to call the main frog Sandrine… yes it has to be a female frog. So, Sandrine was part of a group of frogs (all females) that decided to climb a high mountain running. They all chose to go via the main street of the town (called Chataigne). A lot of other frogs lined the streets to encourage the runners frogs on their way. The closer they got to the mountain, less there were people to encourage them, some where even enjoying discouraging them. Then the group of runners frogs  started to diminish. The further they went more the discouragements came and less there were runners. 
Soon enough, Sandrine was the only one running. You could hear the “supporters” shouting and mocking saying things like: “ahhh she’s never going to make it to the top! Just you watch she will give up really soon. She’ll give up soon”. Sandrine kept going and kept going and kept going. She made it to the top of the mountain.
A journalist came to interview her wondering how she did it, where she found the strength to go on… Sandrine wasn’t responding, just staring, he tried again. Nope, nothing… Sandrine was simply deaf. The reason she kept going is because she didn’t hear those who were discouraging her… She couldn’t hear a thing!
So, here we are with only one day to go, just one more step. I think I might keep this going, and cook dishes that will last 2 or 3 days so I won’t cook every single evening…
For food today, a friend and I shared a mushrooms & cauliflower soup topped with grated roasted Brazil nuts at lunch. My friend had hers with a toasted mini baguette just like I would normally eat my soup. I had mine on its own, in a fuller bigger bowl.
To make the soup you will need every thing on the photo to the right.
*Cauliflower, chopped
*lots of closed cup chestnut mushrooms peeled and chopped
*potatoes peeled and cut in 6 to 8 to serve as the creamer agent,
*celery, spring onion chopped
*onion, garlic chopped
*dried Herbs de Provence & tyme
  • Start by frying onion, thyme and potatoes until the potatoes are brown… this is going to bring an added flavour to the soup. Once the potatoes are browned, chuck in all the rest of ingredients in the pot and cover with water, stock and leave to cook for 20 minutes. You may want to add more water before blending. I blend mine while the pot is still on the fire. Because as I blend and it becomes creamy, I can still add water before taking the pot off the fire…
For dinner I tried to make a rosti of suede and carrot (for the first time) with a ginger tomato sauce. I am not sure that I have seen it anywhere but I figured, If you can do a rosti with potato, you could do it with any root vegetable. The problem is, neither the carrot nor the suede have binding agent in them unlike the potato which Is full of starch.
When I saw that the rosti wasn’t maintaining its shape in the frying pan I just scramley all of it and stir-fried  for 5 minutes, Then chopped some fresh parsley, keept frying for another 2 minutes to soften then parsley.
I will call this dish riced suede and carrot with ginger tomato sauce.
Next time I will try yam or cassava rosti, they are full of starch and might just hold.
That’s all folks! Suits is about to start sorry, must dash!
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment