Tuesday 26 March 2013

Day 23… Outspoken

Last Saturday, I was invited to the opening of this new church’s building. At the end of the service the Pastor thanks all for coming and for supporting the church in their journey so far. I have known the church for the 3 years now. It has been a journey and they now finally have a Home. When it came to me, he described me as “…a person who says what she thinks. Anyone who give her a microphone should know that that and be ready…”.!, WHAT?! How do you know that?! I thought.
I wasn’t shocked by what he said, but more by how he knew it. When he then called me to the microphone, I discretely turned him down. See? I’ve got a really expressive face and it says what I think before I even opened my mouth. I couldn’t go up there all confused.
Those who work with me have to deal with this straight talk thing daily. If it doesn’t feel right, or half baked, I react there and then (unfortunate or fortunately). You see, I think that people spend too much time thinking about how to walk around the eggs shell on the floor. Me, I either walk on them, sweep them or carefully place them where they might be safe. I do no have the time or energy to avoid them at every single step, which works well for “British-ness”. Good! I am not Brit anyways.
My full African Name spells "revolution" and I think some of that is found in who I am… mainly about breaking unspoken, undefined, unclear rules. Besides I am French African. English not being my first language, it can be really difficult during an argument to find softer words to express my point of views. Seeing me in full flow once, Stuart Briscoe renamed me Battle Axe. Well, if that get things done, so be it.
Warning: If your are going to be one, own it. But know that you will not always have the backing of others who might agree with you secretly. If you are going to be outspoken, learn to think on yer feet. Not an easy road. Learn to walk it alone… Learn to back down when you get it wrong too and never say “I told you so!"... Tell your face not to be so reactive...
Since starting this journey, I m learning a lot of thing about me and about life in general… interesting road. 17 days to go.
On to happier subject… Food!
The best meal of the day was the ratatouille I had for lunch with a dry browned couscous.

Ratatouille are great to get rid of tied vegetables especially which is what I did. It is the end of the month, l am skint and had a collection of wrinkly vegetable and herbs in the fridge.
So, for my ratatouille the ingredient I found were: green, yellow, red peppers, leak, celery, Spring onions, revived carrots*, dying fresh tomatoes, 1 tin of tomato, chickpeas ,lame sage and thyme.
*to revive slightly dry carrots, just put them in water for 20-30 minutes and you will have new plump carrots.
Chop everything as you can see on this picture, them cook in your preferred order. Only add the tin tomato after all the rest has softened slightly. Do not cook the tomato in the way that there is still a bit of sweetness to it. For the rest, just be creative. You can always DM me for full recipe.
As for the couscous, I don’t like it plain. So, I roast mine in a bit of oil until brown first. It gives it very nutty flavour which I like. Once browned, just add boiling water, bit of salt then cover for 10 minutes. Separate the grains with a fork just before serving. Voila! :-)
Ratatouille & couscous

No comments:

Post a Comment