Friday 5 April 2013

Day 26… Good Friday - Spring Harvest.

Today is 29 March and is Good Friday. I had a great big breakfast with a great bowl of mixt fruits & red berries tea, an apple and oat bran cookie…
When I got to church, there was communion. I hesitated to take the bread and wine, but if there was a day to eat t and drink, it would be today. So, I took the communion. For the last 28 days, I had managed to skip few of these. Right after the service I was travelling to spring harvest in Minehead on the south coast.
The charity I work for has a stand at Spring Harvest this year and I had to go set up and spend a week there. Spring harvest is a Christian festival organised in Butlins sites for 3 weeks between March and April every year. This year I am spending week one in Minehead.
When I learnt that I was going to Minehead half way in my lent, I was a bit worried. I came here last year and I don’t think vegans would have much to eat here. What hope is there for an extreme vegan? For my lent, I excluded all products of animal origin included honey, excluded refined food items, rice pasta, bread, crisps, all sort of sugars. So, it is going to be really difficult to eat what Is on offer while I am here.  All my meals were paid for in advance, but I don’t think and going to make much of my vouchers.
Thank God that I had planned tuff to eat at least for the first day.  I packed a jar of my chunky tomato sauce and a jar of fried onions and thyme. Those two can make everything better. Ion my way I stopped at Marks and spencer’s to get their fuller for longer salads… most of them had either sugar, soy sauce (which contains sugar), honey, cheese or mayonnaise (which contains eggs). But I found a beautiful nuts and pulses salad with Quinoa, black eye peas, carots, broccoli, peas, green beans, peanuts almonds, pumpkin seeds, pistachio nuts, poppy seeds. It was fitting only if I didn’t have it with the included vinaigrette.
Thank God I had my jar of fried onion with me. Not only did the onions enhanced the taste of the salad, the flavoured oil brought the much needed vinaigrette.
To seal all that, I had prepared for the journey a tub of strawberries. I did really felt full.
When we arrived it was time for tea; Sandwich, yogurts fruit, chocolate bar, crisps tea and coffee… The only thing I can have from that beautiful buffet was… fruits. When I asked to have more fruit as I couldn’t take anything else, I was told no. I resorted to trade my sandwich, yogurt and chocolate bar with another volunteer in exchange of bananas.
For dinner after checking what was available, I resorted to just eat a full bag of roasted salted mixed nuts and one banana.
Let’s see what surprises await us for breakfast in the morning…  better take my jar of tomato chutney to the restaurant just in case.
Happy Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment