Saturday 16 March 2013

Day 13 … leftovers party

Today I went to meet few new friends at the BFI for brunch… I checked out the menu of the café before I went. Of course that didn’t cater for vegans… Quelle surprise!
Before I arriving at the venue, I stopped by Wasabi at Waterloo station to pick up some Edamame beans so I won’t just watch others eating.
When I arrived at the venue, I checked with the kitchen if there was something I could eat… they couldn’t event make ma a fruit salad. They response gave me an excuse to whip out my beans and eat the openly. All washed down with a pot of sugar free Ginger and lemon tea. .. This is good because all I spent in that very expensive café was £2.35! Wow. My new friend thought it was odd that I had brought my own beans…  I really really feel sorry for vegans. Seriously. It is not just because they are not catered for, but because other s that are not are very unsupportive.
I had my lunch very late afternoon today… a collection of left over foods from the week. My plate had some boiled potatoes, boiled in the skin plantain, chunky tomato sauce and chunky green sauce (salty chutneys sauces).
The sauces are really handy to have in the fridge. They will go well with almost every thing savoury and can be eaten hot or cold. To see the recipe of the chunky tomato sauce, please go to day 11.
To make a jar of my chunky green sauce /chutney, you will need the following:
*1 green sweet pepper
*1 big onion
*5 garlic cloves
*1 leek
*Half a bunch of fresh coriander
*2 or 3 stems of thyme
*1 red chilli pepper
*Plenty of vegetable oil (100 ml), Salt & 1 vegetable stock cube
Start by washing and chopping everything. Keep the onion and thyme separately.
Pour all the oil in a non sticky pot. When hot, throw in the chopped onion and thyme stems stir until the onion is caramelised. Throw in All the chopped ingredients above and cook stirring continuously for a bout 10 minutes… all ingredients should be soft then.  Crush the stock cube and add to the mix. Leave to cook another 2 minutes and remove form fire. Leave to cool and spoon into the jar.
Once in the jar all the oil will come to the surface of the jar. Just leave that oil there as it will protect the chutney and keep it from moulding. 1 jar will keep 2 weeks in the fridge. Only use clean spoons to scoop from the jar. Using a dirty spoons or one that has been in your mouth will cause your chutney to spoil quicker.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment